Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Reuben #2 - Carnegie Deli, Las Vegas



This Reuben was discovered by my friend, Sam Nelson, who lives in Las Vegas. Sam, thank you for joining the Search for the Perfect Reuben. From Sam...


I’ve never had a Reuben quite like the one from Carnegie Deli in Las Vegas. Carnegie Deli is famous in New York City and the imitation in Las Vegas did not disappoint. It’s a plateful of sandwich big enough for two, three, or even four people.


I’m a believer that it is the bread that makes a sandwich. That is why I was so surprised that I loved this sandwich. The bread was a dry slice underneath the sandwich that didn’t add much to it. It also had just a thin layer of sauerkraut. What made the sandwich were the pastrami and the melted swiss cheese.


The pastrami was thicker than I normally like, but it was full of flavor. The cheese was piled on but surprisingly, it wasn’t too much at all. The sauce was served on the side and tasted like a fry sauce with some sweet pickle relish mixed in.


A great part about this sandwich was that it did not leave a pile of grease at the bottom of the plate. For how much pastrami and cheese was included, it ended up being the perfect mix of flavor without all the grease.


Although a different type of sandwich, this is the best Reuben I’ve had so far, and definitely the best in Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment