Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Black Bean and Butternut Squash Tacos



This is a recipe I got from my dear friend Jen Smith. I'm not sure where she got it. Also, I forgot to take a picture of my tacos, so I got this picture off the internet by googling "pictures of butternut squash." I think I am supposed to say that.

I love this recipe because it is simple, but has a really great flavor. Make sure to cut up the butternut squash into very small bite size pieces so it fits nicely in a taco. Tips for peeling & cutting the butternut squash: Poke it with a fork and microwave for about a minute before peeling. Then use a really sharp knife.

Also, I made my own refried black beans by first, soaking the beans overnight. Second, cooking them in the crock pot while I was at work. Third, adding the beans, enough of their juice to keep them the right consistency and some coconut oil to a pot and stirring them around with a little bit of cumin, salt & black pepper. Delicious.

ingredients

1½ cup refried black beans

1 small butternut squash

2 tablespoon olive oil

1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground cumin

½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper

soft corn tortillas

for serving

Salsa Verde

Cilantro sprigs

Creme fraiche or sour cream or I like to use greek yogurt

directions

Warm the refried beans gently over low heat. Cut the butternut squash into very small bite size piece, about 1/2 inch. Heat large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add olive oil or coconut oil. When it smokes, add squash cubes and toss well. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, cumin and black pepper. Saute over high heat, tossing frequently, until tender but not mushy inside, about 10 minutes. To serve, heat tortillas quickly one by one in a very hot dry skillet, about 10 seconds per side. Assemble tacos by spooning in black beans, topping with sauteed squash, cilantro sprigs, and cream or yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment